The Modular Energy Storage Architecture (MESA) Standards Alliance is an industry association of electric utilities and technology suppliers. MESA’s mission is to accelerate the growth of energy storage through the development of open and non-proprietary communication specifications for energy storage systems.
Join us in transforming the energy storage market.
MESA is developing two specifications
Provides a standard communications specification for utility-scale energy storage system (ESS) data exchanges using a profile of the IEC 61850-7-420 DER information model mapped to DNP3. The MESAESS specification, with DNP3 Application Note AN2018-001, supports all the IEEE 1547 and California Rule 21 DER functions as well as additional ESS functions to provide market-based support to utility grids. It also addresses ESS configuration management and ESS role-based access control (RBAC) for different ESS operational states.
MESA-Device Specifications/SunSpec Energy Storage Model
Addresses how energy storage components within an energy storage system communicate with each other and other operational components. MESA-Device specifications are built on the Modbus protocol.
About MESA Standards
Utility grid technologies are undergoing a rapid evolution in response to changes in how power is being deployed on the electricity grid today.
Changes from the last decade include the integration of renewable energy sources, the addition of energy storage, and the bi-directional flow of energy between distributed energy resources (DER).
The adoption of open standards simplifies the integration of these technologies and increases the pace of their deployment in grid applications.
Members include utilities and energy storage solution providers who work together to build interoperability into their products and ensure they are architected for grid integration.
As a MESA member, you can participage in MESA working groups to guide the development of MESA specifications, learn how to incorporate MESA specifications into your products and/or control systems, and share knowledge with your peers.
Open Standards for Energy Storage
MESA specifications support safe, affordable, and scalable energy storage.
Benefits for Everyone
- Reduce costs of technology deployment
- Reduce risk by enabling supplier flexibility
- Simplify long-term maintenance and system upgrades
- Efficiently scale energy storage deployments
- Reduce training costs and compliance testing costs
- Provide products designed for integration with other MESA-compliant products
- Increase the array of available partners for projects
- Focus resources on making your product better, rather than on system integration
- Streamline deployments and meet customer timelines
- Use international communication standards, including IEEE 1815 (DNP3), IEC 61850, and Modbus
- Meet all interoperability requirements for IEEE 1547 DER interconnection standard